If you receive a 1099-C for a forgiven loan that you co-signed, you should contact the lender and explain that the 1099-C was issued in error, and ask them to issue a correction.   If the lender refuses to correct the 1099-C, you should seek the assistance of an experienced tax professional to ensure your return is prepared correctly.

read more